Suffering an injury in a Lyft rideshare can be a daunting experience, but you could be entitled to compensation. Many individuals are uncertain about their legal standing after facing accidents in Uber or Lyft vehicles – This is where the expertise of our dedicated Lyft accident attorneys becomes invaluable. Tackling the intricacies of rideshare accident claims without seasoned legal guidance can be overwhelming, but with the right attorney, you can navigate the legal maze confidently.
In 2019, Lyft released its first safety report, which indicated that 105 people died from car accidents involving Lyft vehicles between 2017 and 2019. With the growing popularity of ridesharing companies like Uber and Lyft, there is a growing number of people who find themselves in accidents.
When you’re a victim of a ridesharing accident, know that you’re not alone. Just as with accidents in private vehicles, you possess strong legal rights. If you or someone close to you has suffered due to a mishap in a rideshare vehicle, you could be eligible for rightful compensation. At Alexander Shunnarah Trial Attorneys, we stand beside you as fierce advocates, ensuring you understand your rights and guiding you every step of the way. Reach out for a complimentary consultation, and let us champion your cause, helping you secure the justice and compensation you deserve for your Lyft car accident injuries.”
- What is Lyft?
- How Liability Is Determined In A Lyft Accident
- The Statute of Limitations for Ridesharing Accidents
- Determining Whether the Lyft Driver Was Negligent
- On-Duty Versus Off-Duty Lyft Accidents
- Resulting Damages from Lyft Accidents
- What Compensation Can You Seek in a Lyft Accident Lawsuit?
- Trust Our Lyft Accident Attorneys to Secure Your Compensation
What is Lyft?
Lyft is a leading rideshare platform, connecting locals and tourists with travel options through its user-friendly mobile app. Users input their start and end points, and a driver swiftly arrives for pick-up. Lyft drivers are independent contractors using their vehicles to provide transportation. While Lyft and its counterpart, Uber, are the facilitators connecting drivers to riders, they also retain a share of the driver’s earnings. Rideshare companies have become very popular among locals and tourists alike all around the country.
How Liability Is Determined In A Lyft Accident
It can be especially challenging to determine who is to blame in a ridesharing collision. Contract workers, who are primarily autonomous or independent, are used by ridesharing providers to fulfill service requirements. If you were injured in a car accident caused by a driver you booked via Lyft, you may be able to hold the driver personally liable.
Furthermore, rideshare companies have made significant efforts to avoid legal risks, even though they do not always hire contract workers with the safest cars or personal competence to offer clients safe services.
Ridesharing drivers are also not tested for medical conditions that can impair their attentiveness and make them more unsafe on the road, which is another concerning factor. In some cases, you may be able to sue the ridesharing business for placing dangerous drivers on its platform and putting you in danger.
Speak to an experienced attorney if you have been involved in an Uber or Lyft accident, and they can explain your options and offer you sound legal advice.
The Statute of Limitations for Ridesharing Accidents
If you’ve been hurt in a rideshare accident, like with Lyft or Uber, time is ticking. Every state has its own rules, and many give you just a few years to make a claim. This might sound like a long time, but when you’re dealing with injuries, medical bills, and recovery, time can fly by.
Not sure where to start or how long you have? That’s where we come in. Our experienced car accident lawyers specialize in rideshare cases. We know the rules, the companies, and the best ways to get you what you deserve.
Starting your claim early can make a big difference. Why? Because the evidence is fresh. Witnesses can recall more details soon after the accident. And if there are security cameras nearby, getting footage is much easier right after the incident.
Every moment counts. If you’ve been in a rideshare accident, don’t put off getting the help you need. Reach out to our expert Lyft Accident Lawyer team today, and let us fight for you.
Determining Whether the Lyft Driver Was Negligent
If you’ve been injured as a passenger in a Lyft, understanding negligence is key to your claim. Here’s what you need to know:
- Duty of Care: Every Lyft driver has a clear responsibility to keep their passengers safe. This duty is straightforward to establish because, by getting behind the wheel, drivers commit to acting responsibly.
- Breach of Duty: It’s not just about recognizing the driver’s responsibility. You must demonstrate that the Lyft driver failed in their duty, leading directly to your injuries.
- Connecting the Breach to Your Injury: It’s essential to draw a clear line between the driver’s actions (or lack thereof) and your injuries. This means showing that if not for the driver’s negligence, you wouldn’t have been hurt.
- Documenting Damages: You’ll need to highlight the impact of the accident. This could be financial, like medical bills or missed work, known as economic damages. Or it could be emotional and physical pain, termed non-economic damages.
Examples of Lyft driver negligence include:
- Distracted Driving: Using a phone, adjusting the radio, or not focusing on the road.
- Aggressive Behavior: Overly assertive driving that puts passengers at risk.
- Impaired Driving: Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Ignoring Traffic Rules: Overlooking signs or not following road rules.
- Drowsy Driving: Operating the vehicle when too tired or even falling asleep.
- Speeding: Driving faster than is safe or permitted.
- Tailgating: Not keeping a safe distance from the car in front.
There are many ways a Lyft driver can be negligent. If you believe your Lyft driver’s actions (or inactions) led to your injuries, it’s crucial to speak with a seasoned personal injury lawyer. They can guide you through the specifics of your case and help determine if you have a valid claim against the driver or even Lyft itself.
On-Duty Versus Off-Duty Lyft Accidents
A rideshare accident case offers a special set of obstacles when it comes to proving who is responsible for paying accident victims for any injuries. Only when the Lyft driver is considered “on-duty” is Lyft’s insurance company financially accountable for your damages as a passenger or the other driver of the vehicle involved in a crash with a Lyft driver.
Furthermore, a driver may be considered on-duty if they have received a request from a customer and are on their way to pick them up or if they have a customer in their vehicle and are taking them to their destination. However, if the Lyft driver was “off-duty” at the time that the accident occurred, you must seek compensation from the driver and his personal auto insurance policy. A Lyft driver is considered to be off duty if he or she has not yet accepted a request from a customer or does not have a customer in their vehicle.
Resulting Damages from Lyft Accidents
Damages are all the expenses or losses that you may have incurred as a result of an accident. A ridesharing collision may result in many expenses, even if you do not have a car that needs repair. Following an automobile accident, medical bills are typical.
Emergency services almost always attempt to transport you to an emergency room. Even if there are no apparent injuries at first, it may be in your best interest to get medical attention because many injuries do not show up until a few days after the incident.
Medical treatment can be extremely costly, especially if you do not have health insurance coverage. When incidents of this nature occur without warning, it can often put people in debt, as many are forced to pay hefty medical bills with their credit cards. Accident victims of a ridesharing vehicle can have all their medical bills compensated.
Personal injury law firms will help accident victims get compensation for their injuries without putting more financial burden on them by charging on a contingency fee basis. If you were injured due to a negligent driver, you should not be responsible for the damages. So, how do you determine who is the negligent driver?
What Compensation Can You Seek in a Lyft Accident Lawsuit?
If you’ve been involved in a Lyft accident, you might be wondering about potential compensation. With the guidance of a skilled car accident attorney, you could pursue damages for:
- Medical Bills: Covering both your immediate and future medical expenses.
- Lost Earnings: Compensation for wages you’ve lost and potential future earnings.
- Pain and Emotional Trauma: For the physical pain and emotional distress you’ve endured.
- Loss of Future Earnings: Especially relevant if the accident leaves you permanently disabled.
- Property Damage: If you had personal items damaged or if you were driving another vehicle involved in the accident.
- Wrongful Death: In tragic cases where the accident is fatal, compensation can cover funeral costs, burial expenses, and the profound loss experienced by loved ones.
The exact compensation you might receive depends on the details of your accident and the extent of your injuries and losses. To understand your potential claim better, it’s essential to consult with our rideshare accident attorneys.
Lyft Accident Frequently Asked Questions
What Should I Do After a Lyft Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident when you are being driven by a Lyft, or if a Lyft driver hits you while you are driving your own vehicle, there are a few important steps you should take. If there are serious or life-threatening injuries for anyone, the first step would be to call 911 and get medical help.
If the accident is not fatal or life-threatening, remember the following steps:
- Contact The Police- Having a police report is crucial for your claim. It will help determine fault
- Gather Evidence: Get as much evidence as possible. This includes
- Photos and documentation of the accident scene, surrounding area, road conditions, traffic conditions, visible injuries, and anything else that seems relevant.
- Information of the other driver- license number, license plate, address, phone number, the insurance company
- Information of any witnesses- get name, address, phone number of any witnesses
- Seek Medical Treatment- it is crucial to your personal injury claim to seek medical treatment for your injuries.
Who Can File a Claim Against Lyft Following an Accident?
You may only file a claim in a Lyft car accident if you have been physically injured in the accident and suffered damages as a result. You may claim if you were a:
- Passenger in the Lyft vehicle
- Driver in another vehicle that was involved in a collision with a Lyft vehicle
- Pedestrian that was hit by a Lyft driver
- Motorcyclist involved in a Lyft collision
- A family member of someone who died in a Lyft auto accident
How Much Does a Lyft Accident Lawyer Cost?
A Lyft accident claim would be accepted by a personal injury lawyer. PI lawyers create an attorney-client relationship to be able to help the victim get the legal help they need while they navigate the legal system.
Personal injury attorneys understand that you are dealing with injuries and are possibly out of work, and it would be difficult to add attorney fees to your plate at this time. This is why they work on a contingency basis. There are no upfront or out-of-pocket costs, and they offer a free consultation. Only if the attorney is able to win you fair compensation will you be charged for legal fees.
Because Lyft accident injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, there is no risk to you. You only get paid if you get compensation!
What Are Common Injuries in an Uber or Lyft Accident?
As with other auto accidents, injuries vary based on the severity of the accident and the special circumstances surrounding the case. They can range from minor injuries such as whiplash to more serious injuries such as permanent disability. Here are a few common injuries that occur as a result of Uber and Lyft accidents:
- Head injuries or Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Cuts and abrasions
- Catastrophic injuries such as amputations, loss of sight, etc
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal injuries
- Brain and neck injuries
- Muscle and soft tissue damage
- Permanent disability
Do I Need a Lyft Accident Lawyer?
It may be challenging to prove who is liable for damages in accidents involving Lyft drivers. Knowing which insurance company to approach and which must be held liable for your damages in a Lyft accident can be confusing. A car accident caused by Lyft drivers differs from typical accidents because the negligent driver is managed by a third party, which in this case, is Lyft.
Moreover, it may be clear who is to blame for the accident, but it can be challenging to prove who must be held responsible for paying you for your injuries and other damages incurred in a personal injury claim. Lyft or its insurance company can reject your personal injury claim unfairly if they believe they are not liable for your damages.
Additionally, insurance companies may try to offer you unfair settlement amounts to get you to settle quickly without having to take the case to court, where a court may force them to pay a much higher amount.
By consulting with a qualified Lyft accident lawyer, you ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you receive the compensation you are entitled to if you were involved in an accident resulting from someone’s else negligence.
Should I Accept a Settlement Offer from an Insurance Company After a Car Accident?
Victims are advised never to accept an offer from an insurance company without first consulting with a Lyft accident lawyer. The truth is that insurance companies are businesses, and businesses exist to generate a profit.
If an insurance company can get away with paying you a lower settlement amount than what you deserve, their costs are decreased, and they are able to generate more profit. It is, therefore, imperative that you consult with your lawyer before accepting an offer from an insurer. The best way to get maximum compensation is to have an experienced Lyft accident lawyer on your side.
Trust Our Lyft Accident Attorneys to Secure Your Compensation
Experiencing an injury in a Lyft accident can be overwhelming, both physically and emotionally. In such challenging times, you need a trusted legal partner to navigate the complexities of personal injury claims. That’s where Alexander Shunnarah Trial Attorneys come in.
From the moment you reach out to us, we prioritize your well-being and rights. We offer every accident victim a comprehensive, no-obligation consultation, ensuring you’re fully informed about your potential claim and next steps.
It’s about more than just the legal process. We understand the emotional toll an accident can take. That’s why we’re dedicated to supporting you every step of the way, ensuring you feel heard, understood, and represented.
Your journey to fair compensation starts with a single call. Let our legal experts champion your cause, ensuring you receive the justice and compensation you rightfully deserve. Call Alexander Shunnarah Trial Attorneys at 1-800-229-7989 today and take the first step towards healing and recovery.