Millions of people are opting to use Uber to get around these days.
Ubers are cheaper and much more convenient than traditional taxis.
But nothing is perfect, and Uber drivers can still get into accidents.
So, what happens if you are injured in an Uber accident?
The most important thing is to know your legal options in the aftermath of an Uber accident.
If you’ve suffered injuries in an Uber accident, you will most likely need an experienced Uber car accident lawyer to help you receive fair compensation for your damages.
In the article below, we will discuss why it’s crucial to hire a personal injury attorney after rideshare accidents.
Why You Need An Uber Accident Attorney
All car accidents lead to unexpected injuries that typically cost accident victims much more than they expect.
Unfortunately, the odds of incurring injuries that can permanently affect your livelihood are high after a collision with an Uber vehicle.
That’s why you should take your legal strategy toward full compensation very seriously.
Uber accidents are very complicated legal matters because various potential parties may be involved.
You may be pressing charges against the rideshare company, your Uber driver, or other negligent parties, and you’ll have to deal with the appropriate insurance company.
These parties will do whatever they can to avoid being held liable for your injuries.
This is why it’s important to have an Uber accident lawyer to ensure that your legal rights are upheld to the highest standards.
When you hire an experienced law firm, they will provide you with the following legal support:
- Stand to insurance companies and their adjusters to secure maximum compensation to cover all your damages.
- Help you understand the value of your case and collaborate with experts to validate how your Uber crash injuries have affected your life.
- Investigate the accident scene and gather relevant evidence.
- Meet the statute of limitations
- Demand compensation from the insurance coverage of the potential parties liable for your unique injuries.
- Minimize your role in the causation of your injuries, and fight any other parties who try to blame you for the accident’s occurrence.
What Should I Do If I’m Involved In An Uber Accident?
- Move To Safety: Rideshare drivers and Uber passengers should ensure they get to a safe place after the accident. The Uber vehicle should be moved to a safe area away from traffic. The Uber driver should pull off to the shoulder of the road and out of traffic flow. Then you can check yourself and anyone else for injuries if you feel well enough to do so.
- Call The Police: After an accident involving a ridesharing service, you should call 911 immediately. If there are serious injuries, request an ambulance. Even if you don’t have apparent injuries, you should still seek medical attention. Many accident victims experience a rush of adrenaline, making them unaware of any injuries. You should also be sure to get a copy of the police report. The accident report will be vital if you need to pursue legal action.
- Gather Evidence: After your rideshare accident, you will need information about your Uber driver. Be sure to get their name, license number, the name of their insurance provider, and other insurance information. You should also get the names and contact information of any other parties or witnesses to the Uber accident. Take photos of any visible injuries and damage to all vehicles involved. Take note of where and when the Uber accident took place and the weather conditions and road conditions.
- Talk To Rideshare Accident Attorneys: You will need to talk to a lawyer after your accident. Most personal injury lawyers offer a free, no-obligation consultation, so there is no reason not to get their legal advice. If you were injured in the accident, they will know the best source of compensation to pursue. They will also advise you about your legal options, work with the insurance adjuster, and make sure you receive a fair settlement.
What’s Your Uber Accident Case Worth?
Many Uber accident victims can recover financial compensation for economic and non-economic damages if they are injured due to someone’s negligence.
The damages you receive will depend on multiple factors, like the severity of your injuries, the extent of your emotional pain and suffering, and how your earning capacity has been affected.
Economic expenses can be easily calculated and include:
- Emergency medical care like ambulance/medivac services or a hospital stay.
- Future medical care like surgeries or physical therapy
- Lost wages or earnings because you are unable to work
- Reduced earning capacity if you can’t work the same job or at the same capacity.
Non-economic damages are not as clear-cut and include compensation for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, or a lowered quality of life.
The family of someone who is killed in an Uber accident can sue for wrongful death to recover economic and non-economic damages.
Accident victims want to know what their case is worth, but the value of an uber accident case depends on various factors, like:
- How severe your injuries are
- How long it will take you to recover, and to what extent
- Any medical care you will need going forward
Be sure to keep all of your medical records and medical bills so your legal counsel can estimate the value of your case during the initial consultation.
Whose Insurance Company Pays After An Uber Accident?
The insurance policy used after traffic accidents depends on whether the rideshare driver was offline or in Periods 1, 2, or 3.
- If They Were Offline: If the rideshare driver is offline and not logged into the Uber app when they get into an accident, then any accident would only be covered by their personal insurance policy.
- Period 1: If the driver is logged into the Uber app but has not yet accepted a ride, they are in Period 1. The insurance policy limits if the Uber driver is involved in an accident in Period 1 are:
- $50,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per person
- $100,000 of bodily injury liability coverage per accident
- $30,000 of property damage liability coverage per accident
- Uber also provides $200,000 in additional liability insurance in Period 1.
- Period 2: The Uber driver is in Period 2 once they accept a trip.
- Period 3: The Uber driver is in Period 3 when they pick up a passenger.
- In periods 2 and 3, Uber provides drivers with:
- $1 million in commercial auto insurance.
- $1 million in uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
You have two years to file a personal injury claim stemming from a ridesharing accident in most states.
The clock starts running on the date of the accident.
Your attorney will make sure you know exactly when your filing period expires.
You should file your claim as soon as possible after your accident in part to preserve any evidence you may need.
And if you miss the deadline to file your claim, you waive your right to seek financial compensation for your injuries.
Schedule a Case Evaluation With Our Uber Accident Lawyers
Uber accidents can leave victims struggling with painful and debilitating injuries.
Severe, debilitating injuries aren’t uncommon consequences of an Uber crash.
If a negligent Uber driver or any other party is to blame, you should hold them accountable.
Hiring an Uber accident lawyer is vital if you were injured in an accident and need legal assistance to go through the process to recover maximum compensation.
Contact the personal injury law firm of Alexander Shunnarah Trial Attorneys to schedule a free consultation with the top rideshare accident attorneys today!